How to Calculate Projector Throw Distance For an Immersive Viewing Experience
By XGIMI Tech - 2022-08
Long Throw Vs. Short Throw Projectors
Smart projectors are often short throw or long throw devices. Long throw projectors come with a throw ratio of 1 and above, making them excellent for projecting from long distances. Also, since they project images from long distances, they are often suitable for viewing in large theater rooms, exhibition halls, and school auditoriums.
In contrast, short throw projectors have a throw ratio below one and are designed to display images when positioned close to the screen, making them ideal for small theater rooms and spaces. Since they can be placed close to the screen, short throw projectors eliminate the risk of accidentally bumping into the projector.
This article will reveal what throw distance is and how it affects image size, discuss how to calculate the throw distance of a projector, and recommend XGIMI projectors with excellent throw ratios ideal for your theater room to give you a fantastic viewing experience.
What Is Throw Distance, And How Does It Affect Image Size?
A projector's throw distance refers to the distance between the projector and the image projected on the screen. The throw distance of a projector and the projected image size are interconnected in the sense that they are proportional to each other so the more the distance between the projector and its screen, the larger the image.
Throw ratio refers to the relation between the throw distance and the width of the projected image, and it reveals the image size which can be projected from certain distances away. For instance, a throw ratio of 1.5 shows that for each 1 foot of image width, the throw distance should be 1.5 feet away. In addition, the smaller the throw ratio, the larger the image is from a shorter throw distance.
How Do I Calculate the Throw Distance To Determine Which Is Best For Me?
Usually, projectors come with various screen sizes like 100 inches, 120 inches and 150 inches which is quite popular. The 150" screen size refers to the diagonal length of the area available for projection i.e without counting the edge of the projector. So for a 4:3 screen ratio on a 150" screen, the projected image's length would be 120 inches while its height is 90 inches.
To determine the throw distance suitable for you, you will need the throw ratio equation and its variations. Using the throw ratio equation, you can calculate the following:
To determine the ideal ratio given the setup of your experience, use;
Throw Ratio = Throw Distance /Image Width (TR = TD / IW)
If you want to project an image 20ft wide with a projector 24ft away from its screen, you will need a throw ratio of 1.2(1.2 = 24ft/20ft), ideal for use in home theater rooms.
To decide where to place a projector, given its throw ratio and projected image size, use;
Throw Distance = Throw Ratio × Image Width (TD = TR × IW)
This means that with a throw ratio of 1.2, your projector will produce a 20ft wide image from 24ft away from its screen (24ft = 20ft × 1.2)
The width of the image a projector will produce given its throw ratio and throw distance is calculated as:
Image Width = Throw Distance / Throw Ratio (IW = TD / TR)
Placing your projector with a throw ratio of 1.2 about 30ft away from your screen will produce a 25ft wide image (25ft = 30ft/1.2ft).
XGIMI Horizon Pro (4K Home Projector)
- 4K UHD/1500 ISO Lumens: HORIZON Procomes with 4K ultra-high-definition resolution with which it produces crystal clear displays, while its 1500 ISO Lumens brightness level allows use in various light conditions for a cinematic viewing experience.
- Throw Ratio/Large screen: Comes with a throw ratio of 1.2, which can display images with different widths. HORIZON Pro supports displays between 60-200" for distance viewing. When placed 13.05ft (3.98m) from its screen, HORIZON Pro produces a 150" screen.
- Intelligent Screen Adaption: (ISA) technology ensures easy usability through:
- Intelligent Obstacle Avoidance: Resizes the projected image to avoid obstructions from plants or picture frames in the projection zone;
- Autofocus: Maintains image clarity without manual adjustments;
- Auto Keystone Correction: Responsible for adjusting the display up to ±45° horizontally or vertically to produce a rectangular image;
- Intelligent Screen Alignment: Resizes the dimensions of every projection to fit the screen.
- MEMC: MEMC (60Hz) delivers super low latency and the lowest level of image blur, thus allowing action movies and sports to stay clear and sharp when projected.
- HDR10: Delivers an impressive contrast ratio and color enhancement to provide a cinematic viewing in bright or dark environments.
- Harman Kardon sound: Comes with two built-in 8W Harman Kardon speakers with low distortion and high dynamic response to provide theater-quality sound.
- X-VUE 2.0 Image Engine: Provides real-life video display with smoother, purer, and more realistic colors resulting in a truly immersive viewing experience.
- Multiple ports: Supports 2× HDMI 2.0, 2× USB 2.0, 1×LAN, and 1×Headphone (3.55 mm) to provide various connection options for laptops and gaming consoles.
- Chromecast built-in/Bluetooth/WiFi: Chromecast built-in allows you to cast content directly from smart devices, while Bluetooth and WiFi support connection with other devices like tablets and laptops.
- Android TV: Offers Android TV™ and supports streaming from over 5000 apps like HBO Max, Disney+, and Hulu, providing unlimited entertainment all day.
XGIMI AURA (4K Ultra Short Throw Laser Projector)
- 4K UHD/1800 ISO Lumens: AURA has 4K ultra-high definition resolution, which offers superb video quality, while the 1800 ISO Lumens brightness eliminates the need for external lights so you can enjoy your favorite movies or games during the day or at night.
- Ultra Short Throw (UST) technology/Throw Ratio: AURA is designed with advanced UST technology and throw ratio of 0.233 which offers you a 120"(10ft image width) screen display from 11.7 inches (throw distance) away from the screen or wall.
- X-VUE 2.0 Image Engine: Enhances color depth and realistic display, resulting in an immersive viewing experience.
- Harman Kardon sound: Features two built-in two woofers and two tweeters at 15W each to provide a rich, room-filling audio experience.
- MEMC: MEMC (60Hz) delivers low latency rates and eliminates image blurs in action movies, sports, and games.
- Multiple ports: Comes with 3× HDMI 2.0, 3× USB 2.0, 1× LAN, and 1× Headphone (3.55mm), providing several connection options.
- Chromecast built-in/Bluetooth/WiFi: With Chromecast built-in, you can cast your favorite content from smart devices. Bluetooth and WiFi provide advanced connectivity options for devices like tablets and smartphones.
- Android TV: Offers Android TV™, which provides easy access to over 5000 streaming apps, including Hulu, HBO Max, and Disney+, for non-stop entertainment.
XGIMI Halo+ (1080p FHD Portable Projector)
- Battery: Halo+has a built-in 59W battery, which provides 2.5 hours of movies and 5 hours of music on a single charge to spice up your backyard or camping experience.
- Throw Ratio/Large screen: With a 1.2 throw ratio, Halo+ provides flexibility as it allows you to cast a 100" screen from 8.72ft (2.66m). Its maximum 200-inch screen size supports comfortable viewing in the backyard or when camping.
- MEMC: Delivers super low image blur and latency rates keeping sports and action movies incredibly clear when projected.
- 1080p resolution/700 ISO Lumens: Produces crystal-clear videos with its 1080p resolution, while its 700 ISO Lumens brightness enables use even in brightly lit environments.
- Harman Kardon sound: With its dual 5W Harman Kardon speakers, which provide high fidelity sound, you can enjoy lively movies or karaoke nights indoors or outdoors.
- X-VUE 2.0 Image Engine: Enhances clarity and color detail, thus producing clear, lifelike visuals for an immersive experience.
- Intelligent Screen Adaption (ISA) technology: ISA technology brings ease to projector setup through:
- Intelligent Obstacle Avoidance: Resizes the image displayed to prevent objects in the projection zone from obstructing the display;
- Autofocus: Maintains image clarity without manual adjustments;
- Auto Keystone Correction: Adjusts the display horizontally or vertically to produce a rectangular image;
- Intelligent Screen Alignment: Automatically resizes the dimensions of the projections to fit the screen.
- Android TV/Chromecast built-in/Bluetooth/WiFi: Halo+ also comes with Android TV™, which offers easy access to over 5000 streaming apps like Hulu, HBO Max, and Disney+ for premium entertainment, alongside Chromecast built-in, which allows streaming from smart devices. Bluetooth and WiFi also serve as additional connection options.
- HDR10: HDR10 provides a superb contrast ratio and color enhancement which supports viewing day and night.
In achieving your desired image size for your room theater, considering your projector's throw distance and the ratio is essential. A projector's throw distance is proportional to the image size produced, while a projector's throw ratio will influence its placement and choice of room use.
Get €10 off Your Next Purchase
Join the XGIMI Community Today!